Re: Faulty HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED hintbit combination - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Faulty HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED hintbit combination
Date
Re: Faulty HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED hintbit combination  (Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jan-24, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> +    /*
> +     * Do not allow tuples with invalid combinations of hint bits to be placed
> +     * on a page.  These combinations are detected as corruption by the
> +     * contrib/amcheck logic, so if you disable one or both of these
> +     * assertions, make corresponding changes there.
> +     */
> +    Assert(!((tuple->t_data->t_infomask & HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY) &&
> +             (tuple->t_data->t_infomask2 & HEAP_KEYS_UPDATED)));
>

> I attach a simple self contained script to reproduce the problem, the last
> UPDATE triggering the Assert.
>
> I'm not really familiar with this part of the code, so it's not exactly clear
> to me if some logic is missing in compute_new_xmax_infomask() /
> heap_prepare_insert(), or if this should actually be an allowed combination of
> hint bit.

Hmm, it's probably a bug in compute_new_xmax_infomask.  I don't think
the combination is sensible.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"There is evil in the world. There are dark, awful things. Occasionally, we get