Re: Patch: incorrect array offset in backend replication tar header - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Patch: incorrect array offset in backend replication tar header
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Brian Weaver <cmdrclueless@gmail.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> I probably just did a poor job of explaining what I wanted to try. I
> was going to have the base backup open two connections; one to stream
> the tar archive, the second to receive the wal files like
> pg_receivexlog.

This is what --xlog=stream does.

> The wal files received on the second connection would be streamed to a
> temporary file, with tar headers. Then when the complete tar archive
> from the first header was complete received simply replay the contents
> from the temporary file to append them to the tar archive.

Ah, yeah, that should also work I guess. But you could also just leave
the the data in the temporary tarfile the whole time. IIRC, you can
just cat one tarfile to the end of another one, right?