Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Nathan Wagner (nw+pg@hydaspes.if.org) wrote:
> > > I think I have suggested that there be a way to generate a bug id via
> > > email.  Presumably someone could just copy that email address to make a
> > > not-tracked discussion get a bug id.  If the system archived all the
> > > lists (not hard) it would be possible to pull the other emails from the
> > > thread into the bug (also not hard).  As for marking as 'not-a-bug'
> > > this can easily be done via whatever mechanism might be used.
> > > Something along the lines of:
> > >
> > > Bug Status: not a bug
> >
> > If we're providing control messages through email (which I absolutely
> > believe needs to be supported), I'd strongly prefer that they be easy to
> > write.  The above isn't.
> >
> > A good set of commands to support can be seen here:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
> >
> > The way debbugs currently works, which I like, is that you email
> > NNNN-done@bugs.debian.org (NNNN being the bug #) and that automatically
> > closes the bug and that email is sent to the bug reporter.  Generally,
> > this will be in a reply to an email which came from, or at least CC'd,
> > NNNN@bugs.debian.org, so changing the address to go to -done is quite
> > easy.
>

> If I understand that correct, it completely breaks the current workflow of
> "reply-all"? When I need to comment on a bug, isntead of hitting reply-all,
> i should send it to the @bugs address? Or are you saying in those cases you
> still hit reply-all but just edit the actual address?

This, imv anyway, is why I need to just set it up and show people how it
works.

Yes. Agreed.

reply-all works just fine, since you like to know *exactly* how it works
at a technical level, I just checked and the bug email address is
automatically included in the Reply-To: header rather than being CC'd
or From.  The bug submitter's email is also in the Reply-To.

Well, to play the devils advocate here - we explicitly *don't* set reply-to headers on our mailinglists, and have done many rounds of bikeshedding as to why :P

Please understand that, at least in my experience, Debian's workflows
are *very* similar to ours.  They just hammered out these questions
about how to make it work over the past 15 years that we've been writing
a database. ;)

Yeah, and they're just getting around to the database side now eh? :)

> (FWIW, I think editing the actual address is nowhere near as easy as just
> adding a Status: <whatever> to the message itself. It's likely easier to
> deal with on the *server* side, but it's definitely not easier for the
> user. Especially if you're in a MUA that doesn't let you easily edit a mail
> address (hello gmail! which is quite a few of our users..)

An email to control@ with

close 1234

What I'd want is to just hit Reply-All, and add a keyword something like "bug: closed" to the email, and that's it.

> My MUA makes changing an email To: line really easy and since I'm one of
> the users of that part of the system, I like it.

I know it does :) I use it for other things, but the majority of our mailinglist users don't..

> One thing that's important to understand is that this system (in
> particular, the email interface) is *not* for our users (more
> specifically, it's not for the individuals who submit bugs via the bug
> form).

It's not for our end users, at least those parts, I agree.

But it's for all our developers, not just committers.