Re: bugs and bug tracking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > reply-all works just fine, since you like to know *exactly* how it works
> > at a technical level, I just checked and the bug email address is
> > automatically included in the Reply-To: header rather than being CC'd
> > or From.  The bug submitter's email is also in the Reply-To.
>
> Well, to play the devils advocate here - we explicitly *don't* set reply-to
> headers on our mailinglists, and have done many rounds of bikeshedding as
> to why :P

It's not a mailing list and it's probably configurable anyway.

> What I'd want is to just hit Reply-All, and add a keyword something like
> "bug: closed" to the email, and that's it.

Control: close -1

> > One thing that's important to understand is that this system (in
> > particular, the email interface) is *not* for our users (more
> > specifically, it's not for the individuals who submit bugs via the bug
> > form).
>
> It's not for our end users, at least those parts, I agree.
>
> But it's for all our developers, not just committers.

Agreed, just saying we need to realize that there is a difference
between users and individuals who are active participants in the
community (and therefore have some familiarity with our mailing lists,
etc...).

Thanks!

Stephen