Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off
Date
Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
> Yeah, I think I agree.  It would be bad to disable it by default on Unix,
> because ps(1) is a very standard tool there, but the same argument doesn't
> hold for Windows.

It seems that we could reach a consensus.  The patch is attached.  I'll add this to the next CommitFest.

> Another route to a solution would be to find a cheaper way to update the
> process title on Windows ... has anyone looked for alternatives?

I couldn't find an alternative solution after asking some Windows support staff.

FWIW, I remember this from back in the days when this was written. We kind of expected this would be slow already back then, but couldn't find a better way at the time either. And back then, I guess there were just enough *other* things that were slow with pg-on-windows that it didn't become as obvious.

So - +1 for changing the defaults as suggested.

What's our take on backpatching such changes? Should this be 9.6 only, or back further?