Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:51 PM Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2019, 12:43 +0100 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> I think this is dangerous enough that it needs to be enforced and not
> documented.

Changing the cluster ID might have some other side-effects, I think
there are several cloud-native 3rd party solutions that use the cluster
ID as some kind of unique identifier for an instance. It might not be an
issue in practise, but then again, it might break other stuff down the
road.

Well, whatever we do they have to update, right? If we're not changing it, then we're basically saying that it's (systemid, checksums) that is the identifier of the cluster, not just systemid. They'd have to go around and check each node individually for the configuration and not just use systemid anyway, so what's the actual win?

Another possibility would be to extend the replication protocol's
IDENTIFY_SYSTEM command to also report the checksum version so that the
standby can check against the local control file on startup. But I am
not sure we can easily extend IDENTIFY_SYSTEM this way nor whether we
should for this rather corner-casey thing?

We could, but is it really a win in those scenarios? Vs just making the systemid different? With systemid being different it's obvious that something needs to be done. If it's not then at the best, if we check it in the standby startup, the standby won't start. But people can still end up with things like unusuable/corrupt backups for example.