Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2019, 12:43 +0100 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> I think this is dangerous enough that it needs to be enforced and not
> documented.

Changing the cluster ID might have some other side-effects, I think
there are several cloud-native 3rd party solutions that use the cluster
ID as some kind of unique identifier for an instance. It might not be an
issue in practise, but then again, it might break other stuff down the
road.

Another possibility would be to extend the replication protocol's
IDENTIFY_SYSTEM command to also report the checksum version so that the
standby can check against the local control file on startup. But I am
not sure we can easily extend IDENTIFY_SYSTEM this way nor whether we
should for this rather corner-casey thing?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz