Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Evan D. Hoffman
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
List pgsql-general
Not sure of your space requirements, but I'd think a RAID 10 of 8x or more Samsung 840 Pro 256/512 GB would be the best value.  Using a simple mirror won't get you the reliability that you want since heavy writing will burn the drives out over time, and if you're writing the exact same content to both drives, they could likely fail at the same time.  Regardless of the underlying hardware you should still follow best practices for provisioning disks, and raid 10 is the way to go.  I don't know what your budget is though.  Anyway, mirrored SSD will probably work fine, but I'd avoid using just two drives for the reasons above.  I'd suggest at least testing RAID 5 or something else to spread the load around.  Personally, I think the ideal configuration would be a RAID 10 of at least 8 disks plus 1 hot spare.  The Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB are frequently $200 on sale at Newegg.  YMMV but they are amazing drives.