Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID  (Matt Brock <mb@mattbrock.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
On 5/10/2013 9:19 AM, Matt Brock wrote:
> After googling this for a while, it seems that High Endurance MLC is only starting to rival SLC for endurance and
writeperformance in the very latest, cutting-edge hardware. In general, though, it seems it would be fair to say that
SLCsare still a better bet for databases than MLC?

I've never looked at SLC drives in the past few years and don't know
anyone who uses them these days.

> The number and capacity of drives is small in this instance, and the price difference between the two for HP SSDs
isn'tvery wide, so cost isn't really an issue. We just want to use whichever is better for the database.

Could you post some specific drive models please ? HP probably doesn't
make the drives, and it really helps to know what devices you're using
since they are not nearly as generic in behavior and features as
magnetic drives.