Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Brock
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
After googling this for a while, it seems that High Endurance MLC is only starting to rival SLC for endurance and write
performancein the very latest, cutting-edge hardware. In general, though, it seems it would be fair to say that SLCs
arestill a better bet for databases than MLC?

The number and capacity of drives is small in this instance, and the price difference between the two for HP SSDs isn't
verywide, so cost isn't really an issue. We just want to use whichever is better for the database.

On 10 May 2013, at 15:20, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Matt Brock <mb@mattbrock.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> We're intending to deploy PostgreSQL on Linux with SSD drives which would be in a RAID 1 configuration with Hardware
RAID.

>> My first question is essentially: are there any issues we need to be aware of when running PostgreSQL 9 on CentOS 6
ona server with SSD drives in a Hardware RAID 1 configuration? Will there be any compatibility problems (seems
unlikely)?Should we consider alternative configurations as being more effective for getting better use out of the
hardware?

>> The second question is: are there any SSD-specific issues to be aware of when tuning PostgreSQL to make the best use
ofthis hardware and software?

>> The specific hardware we're planning to use is the HP ProLiant DL360 Gen8 server with P420i RAID controller, and two
MLCSSDs in RAID 1 for the OS, and two SLC SSDs in RAID 1 for the database - but I guess it isn't necessary to have used
thisspecific hardware setup in order to have experience with these general issues. The P420i controller appears to be
compatiblewith recent versions of CentOS, so drivers should not be a concern (hopefully).