Re: Logical Replication Helpers WIP for discussion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Logical Replication Helpers WIP for discussion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Haas<span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com" target="_blank">robertmhaas@gmail.com</a>></span>
wrote:<br/><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span
class="">OnFri, Dec 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Petr Jelinek <<a
href="mailto:petr@2ndquadrant.com">petr@2ndquadrant.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > What I hope to get from this is
agreementon the general approach and<br /> > protocol so that we can have common base which will both make it easier
to<br/> > create external logical replication solutions and also eventually lead to<br /> > full logical
/>discussion.  Andres has mentioned some of the ideas he has in mind -<br /> which I think are similar to what you did
here- but there hasn't<br /> really been a thread devoted to discussing that topic specifically.  I<br /> think that
/></div><divclass="gmail_extra">Looking at this patch, I don't see what we actually gain much here except a decoder
pluginthat speaks a special protocol for a special background worker that has not been presented yet. What actually is
thevalue of that defined as a contrib/ module in-core. Note that we have already test_decoding to basically test the
class="gmail_extra">Basedon those reasons I am planning to mark this as rejected (it has no documentation as well). So
pleasespeak up if you think the contrary, but it seems to me that this could live happily out of core.<br /></div><div