Re: pg_dump gets attributes from tables in extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_dump gets attributes from tables in extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh.lathia@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > rushabh@rushabh-centos-vm:dump_test$ cat dump_test--1.0.sql
> > /* dump_test/dump_test--1.0.sql */

Hm.  I think it would be a good idea to collect these extension files
somewhere so that pg_dump hacking can be tested with them.  Right now,
the extension part of pg_dump is easy to break in subtle ways, which
discourages anyone who wants to meddle with it.

Maybe something in src/test/modules could keep these files so that
pg_dump can be tested.  Is anybody interested in doing that?

For the patch to fix data dump of extensions that contain tables with FK I have implemented a test case in src/test/modules as I didn't want to look at postgis stuff to reproduce the failure, last version is here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqQRjHHmNMcGB0eCVZ2PTMNCmFD+1htLOoxRQjMzgtSetQ@mail.gmail.com

> Btw, perhaps you may have noticed, but I marked this patch as rejected... I
> don't think it makes much sense to put restrictions in this code path after
> finding my way through all the stuff of pg_dump.

Please don't do that -- I mean don't use the commitfest app as the only
source for random bits of data.  If you want to reject a patch, please
make sure to point that out in the email thread.  It's impossible to go
from email archives to commitfest entries.

Sure. Sorry for that...
--
Michael