Re: BUG #14326: Unexpected status after crash during exclusive backup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #14326: Unexpected status after crash during exclusive backup
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM,  <marco.nenciarini@2ndquadrant.it> wrote:
> The workaround I found to reset this state is to force the instance through
> another backup recovery, by starting an exclusive backup, saving the
> backup_label, stopping the backup and restarting the instance with the saved
> backup_label in place.

That's not user-friendly.

> I don't know the best way to handle this situation, but at least, I'd like a
> warning message when the instance exits from the crash recovery while
> backupStartPoint is still set.

So you would get such a warning even when you restore from a backup
willingly, no? That may confuse users. Now, the case you are referring
to is unfortunately a known problem with exclusive backups... There is
no way to make the difference between a node restored from a backup
and a node that crashed while a backup is taken. And that may be a
reason to make non-exclusive backups more popular because they are
more reliable.
--
Michael