Re: BUG #14330: can not select into `composite data types` in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: BUG #14330: can not select into `composite data types` in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi

> Bug reference:      14330
> Logged by:          lx zou
> Email address:      zoulx1982@163.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.1
> Operating system:   win7  6.1.7601
>
> Hi,
>     when i use composite type in plpgsql, i found it does't work when i
> select a composite type column into a composite type variable.
>     But it can work well when i use another style like this:
>     select (y).a,(y).b into tmp from t....
> following is a full example. Thanks.
>
> create type mytype(a int, b text);
> create table mytab(x int, y mytype);
> insert into mytab values(1, (1, 'abcd'));
> do $$
> declare
>         tmp mytype;
> begin
>         --ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "(1,asddd)"
>         --CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 6 at SQL
> statement
>         select y into strict tmp from mytab;
>         raise notice '%,%', (tmp).a, (tmp).b;
> end;
> $$;

It is not bug - although I understand so this behave is not unfriendly. The
pattern composite var := composite value is not supported due possible
ambiguous assignment internally in PLpgSQL implementation.

Regards

Pavel Stehule