Re: BUG #13586: Repository/Distribution issues - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #13586: Repository/Distribution issues
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:06 AM,  <dmt.shvedov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Operating system:   Linux Mint
> After installing all packages, cannot launch postgres:
>
> $ postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> The program 'postgres' is currently not installed. You can install it by
> typing:
> sudo apt-get install postgres-xc
> [...]
> I assume I need postgres-xc, but that package is not in your repo, I only
> have the one from Ubuntu - for older version of Postgres.

No, Postgres-XC is a fork of Postgres. You don't need XC when
attempting to use only Postgres.

> Am I doing something wrong here?

So, you are trying to use Postgres and not Postgres-XC here, right?
Postgres-XC uses the same binary names as Postgres, so perhaps you
have in your PATH some left garbage of an ancient Postgres-XC
installation? In any case, this is not a PostgreSQL bug, this is
either an issue with the packaging of the distribution you are using
or your environment.
--
Michael