Re: Distribution package for OSX - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Distribution package for OSX
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/2016 08:47 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Tom,

>>> Apple does ship a copy of libpq in /usr/lib, but it's generally a bit
>>> back-rev, and you're working in a macOS release that's itself several
>>> years out of date.  You'll need to install a newer libpq to satisfy this
>>> ODBC version, evidently.
>>

>> Is there a way to see what version of PostgreSQL is installed on
>> the system?
>> Because then it would be easy to find out what version of ODBC
>> driver I should have to connect.
>> Or maybe I already have the driver, since I have iODBC installed?
>

> A question I should have asked earlier, is it a requirement that ODBC be
> used for the connection?
>
> In other words is this a third party app needing ODBC or something you wrote
> that you want to connect via ODBC?

You should be careful if you consider ODBC, its usage makes sense if
you want to have an application layer able to work with multiple
database systems as its routines are the same for all ODBC drivers,
say Oracle, MSSQL, Postgres and DB2. So using it can simplify your
life, and also complicate it as each database system has its
properties, SQL grammar, session tweaks, etc.
--
Michael