Re: skipping pg_log in basebackup (was Re: pg_basebackup and pg_stat_tmp directory) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: skipping pg_log in basebackup (was Re: pg_basebackup and pg_stat_tmp directory)
Date
Re: skipping pg_log in basebackup (was Re: pg_basebackup and pg_stat_tmp directory)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> This is a followup to a 2014-02 discussion that led to pg_stats_temp
> being excluded from pg_basebackup. At the time, it was discussed to
> exclude pg_log as well, but nothing eventually came of that.

It seems to be that:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHGQGwH0OKZ6cKpJKCWOjGa3ejwfFm1eNrmRO3dkdoTeaai-eg@mail.gmail.com

> Recently, one of our customers has had a basebackup fail because pg_log
> contained files that were >8GB:
> FATAL: archive member "pg_log/postgresql-20150119.log" too large for tar format
>
> I think pg_basebackup should also skip pg_log entries, as it does for
> pg_stats_temp and pg_replslot, etc. I've attached a patch along those
> lines for discussion.

And a recent discussion about that is this one:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/82897A1301080E4B8E461DDAA0FFCF142A1B2660@SYD1216
Bringing the point: some users may want to keep log files in a base
backup, and some users may want to skip some of them, and not only
pg_log. Hence we may want more flexibility than what is proposed here.
Regards,
--
Michael