skipping pg_log in basebackup (was Re: pg_basebackup and pg_stat_tmp directory) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Abhijit Menon-Sen
Subject skipping pg_log in basebackup (was Re: pg_basebackup and pg_stat_tmp directory)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi.

This is a followup to a 2014-02 discussion that led to pg_stats_temp
being excluded from pg_basebackup. At the time, it was discussed to
exclude pg_log as well, but nothing eventually came of that.

Recently, one of our customers has had a basebackup fail because pg_log
contained files that were >8GB:

FATAL: archive member "pg_log/postgresql-20150119.log" too large for tar format

I think pg_basebackup should also skip pg_log entries, as it does for
pg_stats_temp and pg_replslot, etc. I've attached a patch along those
lines for discussion.

-- Abhijit

P.S. Aren't we leaking statrelpath?

Attachment