Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dionisis Kontominas
Subject Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table
Date
Re: Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table  (Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

  I have a question regarding the definition of the type of a character field in a table and more specifically about its collation and UTF-8 characters and strings.

  Let's say that the definition is for example as follows:

    name character varying(8) COLLATE pg_catalog."C" NOT NULL

and also assume that the database default encoding is UTF8 and also the Collate and Ctype is "C"". I plan to store strings of various languages in this field.

Are these the correct settings that I should have used on creation of the database?.

Thank you in Advance!

Kindest regards,

Dionisis Kontominas