Re: Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question regarding UTF-8 data and "C" collation on definition of field of table
Date
List pgsql-general
Dionisis Kontominas <dkontominas@gmail.com> writes:
>   Let's say that the definition is for example as follows:
>     name character varying(8) COLLATE pg_catalog."C" NOT NULL
> and also assume that the database default encoding is UTF8 and also the
> Collate and Ctype is "C"". I plan to store strings of various languages in
> this field.

> Are these the correct settings that I should have used on creation of
> the database?.

Well, it won't crash or anything, but sorting will be according
to byte-by-byte values.  So the sort order of non-ASCII text is
likely to look odd.  How much do you care about that?

            regards, tom lane