Re: Add proper planner support for ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Add proper planner support for ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates
Date
Re: Add proper planner support for ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates  (Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for having a look at this.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 11:04, Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 0001 Adds planner support for ORDER BY aggregates.
>
> /* Normal transition function without ORDER BY / DISTINCT. */
> Is it possible to avoid entering to initialize args if 'argno >= pertrans->numTransInputs'?
> Like this:
>
> if (!pertrans->aggsortrequired && argno < pertrans->numTransInputs)
>
> And if argos is '>' that pertrans->numTransInputs?
> The test shouldn't be, inside the loop?
>
> + /*
> + * Don't initialize args for any ORDER BY clause that might
> + * exist in a presorted aggregate.
> + */
> + if (argno >= pertrans->numTransInputs)
> + break;

The idea is to stop the loop before processing any Aggref arguments
that might belong to the ORDER BY clause. We must still process other
arguments up to the ORDER BY args though, so we can't skip this loop.

Note that we're doing argno++ inside the loop.  If we had a
for_each_to() macro, similar to for_each_from(), but allowed us to
specify an end element then we could use that instead, but we don't
and we still must initialize the transition arguments.

> I think that or can reduce the scope of variable 'sortlist' or simply remove it?

I've adjusted the scope of this.  I didn't want to remove it because
it's kinda useful to have it that way otherwise the 0002 patch would
need to add it.

>> 0002 is a WIP patch for DISTINCT support.  This still lacks JIT
>> support and I'm still not certain of the best where to store the
>> previous value or tuple to determine if the current one is distinct
>> from it.
>
> In the patch 0002, I think that can reduce the scope of variable 'aggstate'?
>
> + EEO_CASE(EEOP_AGG_PRESORTED_DISTINCT_SINGLE)

Yeah, that could be done.

I've attached the updated patches.

David

Attachment