Re: Combining Aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Combining Aggregates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18 December 2014 at 01:31, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 17 December 2014 at 10:20, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 December 2014 at 22:53, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> KaiGai, David Rowley and myself have all made mention of various ways
>> we could optimize aggregates.
>>
>> Following WIP patch adds an extra function called a "combining
>> function", that is intended to allow the user to specify a
>> semantically correct way of breaking down an aggregate into multiple
>> steps.
>>
>> Gents, is this what you were thinking? If not...
>>

> Very much so! You must have missed my patch.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvrZG5Q9rNxU4WOga8AgvAwQ83bF83CFvMbOQcCg8vk=Zw@mail.gmail.com

Very strange that you should post an otherwise unrelated patch on
someone else's thread AND not add the patch to the CommitFest.

Stealth patch submission is a new one on me.

Apologies about that, It was a bad decision.

I had thought that it's a bit of a chicken and the egg problem... This is the egg, we just need a chicken to come and lay it.

I had imagined that it would be weird to commit something that's dead in code and not all that testable until someone adds some other code to utilise it.

Regards

David Rowley