Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:

> >>Seems reasonable.
> >
> >Well, that's not always true either; when freezing, it doesn't skip the pinned pages, it waits for them.
>
> Oops. :(
>
> >I.e. this just says how many pages were pinned, without saying what was done about them. That's not very meaningful
toan average DBA, but that's true for many of the numbers printed in vacuum verbose.

> In this case it'll mean people will be less likely to report that this is happening, but maybe that's OK. At least if
someonecomes to us with a problem we'll be able to get some info from them. I'll separately look into the vacuum docs
andsee if we can do a better job explaining the verbose output.

> BTW, what is it about a dynamic message that makes it untranslatable? Doesn't the translation happen down-stream, so
thatat most we'd just need two translation messages? Or worst case we could have two separate elog calls, if we wanted
togo that route.

Since each part is a complete sentence, you can paste them together.
For example you could do something like

msg1 = _("Could not acquire cleanup lock.");
msg2 = _("Skipped %u pinned pages.");

ereport(INFO,       (errcode(ERRCODE_SOME_STUFF),        errmsg_internal("%s\n%s", msg1, msg2)));

The use of errmsg_internal() is to avoid having it be translated again.

FWIW I think the vacuum summary INFO message is pretty terrible already.
I would support a patch that changed it to be separately translatable
units (as long as each unit is a complete sentence.)