Re: Moving forward with TDE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: Moving forward with TDE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 9:29 AM David Christensen
<david.christensen@crunchydata.com> wrote:
> I would love to open a discussion about how to move forward and get
> some of these features built out.  The historical threads here are
> quite long and complicated; is there a "current state" other than the
> wiki that reflects the general thinking on this feature?  Any major
> developments in direction that would not be reflected in the code from
> May 2021?

I don't think the patchset here has incorporated the results of the
discussion [1] that happened at the end of 2021. For example, it looks
like AES-CTR is still in use for the pages, which I thought was
already determined to be insufficient.

The following next steps were proposed in that thread:

> 1. modify temporary file I/O to use a more centralized API
> 2. modify the existing cluster file encryption patch to use XTS with a
>    IV that uses more than the LSN
> 3. add XTS regression test code like CTR
> 4. create WAL encryption code using CTR

Does this patchset need review before those steps are taken (or was
there additional conversation/work that I missed)?

Thanks,
--Jacob

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20211013222648.GA373%40momjian.us