Re: Moving forward with TDE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Christensen
Subject Re: Moving forward with TDE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Nov 15, 2022, at 1:08 PM, Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 9:29 AM David Christensen
> <david.christensen@crunchydata.com> wrote:
>> I would love to open a discussion about how to move forward and get
>> some of these features built out.  The historical threads here are
>> quite long and complicated; is there a "current state" other than the
>> wiki that reflects the general thinking on this feature?  Any major
>> developments in direction that would not be reflected in the code from
>> May 2021?
>
> I don't think the patchset here has incorporated the results of the
> discussion [1] that happened at the end of 2021. For example, it looks
> like AES-CTR is still in use for the pages, which I thought was
> already determined to be insufficient.

Good to know about the next steps, thanks.

> The following next steps were proposed in that thread:
>
>> 1. modify temporary file I/O to use a more centralized API
>> 2. modify the existing cluster file encryption patch to use XTS with a
>>   IV that uses more than the LSN
>> 3. add XTS regression test code like CTR
>> 4. create WAL encryption code using CTR
>
> Does this patchset need review before those steps are taken (or was
> there additional conversation/work that I missed)?

This was just a refresh of the old patches on the wiki to work as written on HEAD. If there are known TODOs here this
thenthat work is still needing to be done.

I was going to take 2) and Stephen was going to work on 3); I am not sure about the other two but will review the
threadyou pointed to. Thanks for pointing that out.

David