Inconsistency between attname of index and attname of relation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ronan Dunklau
Subject Inconsistency between attname of index and attname of relation
Date
Re: Inconsistency between attname of index and attname of relation  (Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I've noticed that renaming an indexed column produces inconsistencies in the catalog. Namely, the attname of the attribute of the relation is properly updated, whereas the attname of the attribute in the index is not, and keeps the old value.

Example:

test # create table test (id int primary key);
CREATE TABLE
test # alter table test rename id to idnew;
ALTER TABLE
test # select attrelid::regclass, attname from pg_attribute where attrelid in ('test'::regclass, 'test_pkey'::regclass) and attnum > 0;
 attrelid  | attname
 test      | idnew
 test_pkey | id

We ran into that while using wal2json, which uses the replication id index attnames to identify which columns are part of the primary key. If the primary key column has been renamed, we end with no information about the identity of the tuple being updated / deleted.

I think this could be considered a bug in Postgres. If it isn't, what should be the proper way to retrieve this information ?

This e-mail message and any attachments to it are intended only for the named recipients and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not one of the intended recipients, do not duplicate or forward this e-mail message.