Re: Dropped and generated columns might cause wrong data on subs when REPLICA IDENTITY FULL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Dropped and generated columns might cause wrong data on subs when REPLICA IDENTITY FULL
Date
Re: Dropped and generated columns might cause wrong data on subs when REPLICA IDENTITY FULL  (Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 9:33 PM Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amit, Shi Yu,
>
> > Generated column is introduced in PG12, and I reproduced generated column problem
> in PG12~PG15.
> > For dropped column problem, I reproduced it in PG10~PG15. (Logical replication
> was introduced in PG10)
>
> So, I'm planning to split the changes into two commits. The first one fixes
> for dropped columns, and the second one adds generated columns check/test.
>
> Is that the right approach for such a case?

Works for me.

> >  and backpatch the fix for dropped column to PG10.
>
> Still, even the first commit fails to apply cleanly to PG12 (and below).
>
> What is the procedure here? Should I be creating multiple patches per version?

You can first submit the fix for dropped columns with patches till
v10. Once that is committed, then you can send the patches for
generated columns.

> Or does the committer prefer to handle the conflicts? Depending on your reply,
> I can work on the followup.

Thanks for working on it.

--
With Regards,