Re: Adding clarification to description of IPC wait events XactGroupUpdate and ProcArrayGroupUpdate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Adding clarification to description of IPC wait events XactGroupUpdate and ProcArrayGroupUpdate
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 8:11 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 11:25:25AM +0800, SAMEER KUMAR wrote:
> > I think it is important to indicate that the group leader is responsible
> > for clearing the transaction ID/transaction status of other backends
> > (including this one).
>
> Your proposal is
>
>         Waiting for the group leader process to clear the transaction ID of
>         this backend at the end of a transaction.
>
>         Waiting for the group leader process to update the transaction status
>         for this backend.
>
> Mine is
>
>         Waiting for the group leader to clear the transaction ID at transaction
>         end.
>
>         Waiting for the group leader to update transaction status at
>         transaction end.
>
> IMHO the latter doesn't convey substantially less information, and it fits
> a little better with the terse style of the other wait events nearby.

+1 for Nathan's version. It is quite close to the previous version,
for which we haven't heard any complaints since they were introduced.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.