Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From John Wang
Subject Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I made a few initial edits to the 9.1 press release which can be seen here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/91releasedraft

As mentioned by Josh, one of my goals is to explain how the features can benefit users so that:

(a) existing users needing and waiting for features will want to upgrade
(b) existing and new users may see new features they want to try out

I agree it would be nice to have a unifying theme as well so there is more to do.

Please review and let me know what you think.

John

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, I'd like to keep it down to categories because we don't want to
> list all 9 features in a sentence.  I also like the "more new features"
> because I want to hammer it in to people that we're not sitting still
> and letting the NoSQL guys to all the innovation.  Let me try ....
>
> "This latest release contains more new features than any prior release
> of PostgreSQL, enhancing scalability and security, as well as adding new
> use cases for the database."
>
> Needs help, but can you see what I'm driving for?

Yeah, and that is better than the original IMO. It would be nice to
have that introduction neatly tie together all the new features with a
single theme -- something more substantive than "enhancing scalability
and security" -- but given that we're talking about 9 or so basically
unrelated major features, that's kind of hard to do.

Now, maybe the bullet points could do a bit better conveying the
appeal/use-case/awesomeness of the features. I think some of John
Wang's suggested changes downthread are along these lines.

Josh