Re: FrOSCon in Germany was a real success - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: FrOSCon in Germany was a real success
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I have to add some comments here.

Am 23.08.2011 11:35, schrieb Susanne Ebrecht:

> The weather was enormous hot and sticky - we expected people will prefer
> to go swimming instead of visiting FrOSCon. Anyway - round about 1500
> visitors
> made it. I have to say here - the orga always just count 1 when a person
> is there
> on both days and they exclude speakers, exhibitors, and helpers.
>
> Air-conditioning in Germany - yes there is a little bit - but of course
> the rooms
> got ugly in the afternoons.
>
> Of course there also was a PostgreSQL booth.
> The booth hall always was full of people.

The booth hall was always full of people who belong to the projects.
Especially on Sunday we had a significant lower number of visitors on
the booth.

The not existent air condition and the half part of the room, fully
packed with the projects, are not a very good situation.

To make it very clear: if FrOSCon will not change this situation, there
will be no PostgreSQL booth next year - at least not organized by me.

> The audience on FrOSCon is very a strange mix:
> You have lots of people with very deep technical knowledge. Deep
> technical talks
> are always welcome. I would say this is the biggest group.
> There is a group who just visit FrOSCon who want to get more knowledge
> about
> Open Source and of course FrOSCon is for getting "fresh meat" - young
> people and
> students who want to contribute one of the projects in future.
> Additionally - there is a business group.
> People (usually they also have a deep technical knowledge) from companies,
> research and government who just want to inform about what's new in open
> source. What is possible without paying money. People who like to get
> informations
> from devs and not from marketing.

Typical Open Source conference ;-)

Let's see what the future brings.