Re: pg_upgrade test failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pg_upgrade test failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I have one more idea ...

I also had a second idea, barely good enough to mention and probably
just paranoia.  In a nearby thread I learned that process exit does
not release Windows advisory file locks synchronously, which surprised
this Unix hacker; it made me wonder what else might be released lazily
after process exit.  Handles?!  However, as previously mentioned, it's
possible that even with fully Unix-like resource cleanup on process
exit, we could be confused if we are using "the process that was on
the end of this pipe has closed it" as a proxy for "the process is
gone, *all* its handles are closed".  In any case, the previous kluge
should help wallpaper over any of that too, for this test anyway.