Re: pg_upgrade test failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pg_upgrade test failure
Date
Re: pg_upgrade test failure  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/artifact/task/6696942420361216/testrun/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/log/regress_log_002_pg_upgrade

> pg_upgrade: warning: could not remove directory
"C:/cirrus/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/data/t_002_pg_upgrade_new_node_data/pgdata/pg_upgrade_output.d/20230131T134931.720/log":
Directorynot empty

> pg_upgrade: warning: could not remove directory
"C:/cirrus/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/data/t_002_pg_upgrade_new_node_data/pgdata/pg_upgrade_output.d/20230131T134931.720":
Directorynot empty

So no change: we didn't see "could not unlink file ...".  So I think
that means that it was rmtree() that unlinked the file for the *first*
time, but someone else has it open.

Even though Windows is at this point eroding my love of computers and
making me consider a new career in, I dunno, carrot farming or
something, I have one more idea.  Check out this kluge in
src/bin/pg_upgrade/exec.c:

        /*
         * "pg_ctl -w stop" might have reported that the server has stopped
         * because the postmaster.pid file has been removed, but "pg_ctl -w
         * start" might still be in the process of closing and might still be
         * holding its stdout and -l log file descriptors open.  Therefore,
         * try to open the log file a few more times.
         */

I'm not sure about anything, but if that's what's happening here, then
maybe the attached would help.  In short, it would make the previous
theory true (the idea of a second unlink() saving the day).

Attachment