Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!
Date
Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 04:28:02PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 4:19 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > > The only issue with this is that cfbot has squished all the commits into
> > > one, and lost the original commit messages (if any).  I submitted
> > > patches to address that but still waiting for feedback.
> > >
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220623193125.GB22452@telsasoft.com
> >
> > Right. I would like to see that change. But you still need to have CF
> > tester/the CF app remember the last master branch commit that worked
> > before bitrot. And you have to provide an easy way to get that
> > information.
>
> No - the last in cfbot's repo is from the last time it successfully
> applied the patch.  You can summarily check checkout cfbot's branch to
> build (or just to git log -p it, if you dislike github's web interface).
>
> If you're curious and still wanted to know what commit it was applied
> on, it's currently the 2nd commit in "git log" (due to squishing
> all patches into one).

I realised that part of Alvaro's complaint was probably caused by
cfbot's refusal to show any useful information just because it
couldn't apply a patch the last time it tried.  A small improvement
today: now it shows a ♲ symbol (with hover text "Rebase needed") if it
doesn't currently apply, but you can still see the most recent CI test
results.  And from there you can find your way to the parent commit
ID.

The reason for the previous behaviour is that it had no memory, but I
had to give it one that so I can study flapping tests, log highlights,
statistical trends etc.  Reminds me, I also need to teach it to track
the postgres/postgres master mirror's CI results, because it's still
(rather stupidly) testing patches when master itself is failing (eg
the recent slapd commits), which ought to be easy enough to avoid
given the data...