Re: pgsql: Handle lack of DSM slots in parallel btree build. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pgsql: Handle lack of DSM slots in parallel btree build.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:13 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > Uh, this seems to have completely disabled parallel index builds on
> > the master branch.
>
> Oops.  The check needs to move down below InitializeParallelDSM(), and
> release any extra resources that might have been acquired (snapshot?).
> I will do some testing in a few hours and post a fix.

Here is take 2.  I tested CI and CIC, and verified that workers are
started or not depending on dsm_create() failure, using the attached
fault injector patch.  (Fuzzing the regression tests repeatedly with
that applied also revealed similar problems elsewhere in the tree,
which I'll write about in a new thread.)

Attachment