Re: More efficient build farm animal wakeup? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: More efficient build farm animal wakeup?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 2:44 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> It might not suit your use case, but one of the things I do to reduce
> fetch load is to run a local mirror which runs
>
>    git fetch -q --prune
>
> every 5 minutes. It also runs a git daemon, and several of my animals
> point at that.

Thanks.  I understand now that my configuration without a local mirror
is super inefficient (it spends the first ~25s of each minute running
git commands).  Still, even though that can be improved by me setting
up more stuff, I'd like something event-driven rather than short
polling-based for lower latency.

> If there's a better git API I'll be happy to try to use it.

Cool.  Seems like we just have to invent something first...

FWIW I'm also trying to chase the short polling out of cfbot.  It
regularly harasses the git servers at one end (could be fixed with
this approach), and wastes a percentage of our allotted CPU slots on
the other end by scheduling periodically (could be fixed with webhooks
from Cirrus).