Re: Cascaded standby message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Cascaded standby message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> From what I can tell, everytime I start a postmaster on HEAD (at least
> when i've set wal_level=archive, and max_wal_senders > 0), I get the
> message:
> LOG:  terminating all walsender processes to force cascaded standby(s)
> to update timeline and reconnect
>
> in the startup log.
>
> This is long before I've connected any slaves or even considered
> cascading standbys - seems this message is written unnecessarily?

I think this should be removed and will do that.

Fujii - the original goal here was to avoid having a unexplained
disconnection in the logs. The only way to do this cleanly is to have
a disconnection reason passed to the walsender, rather than just a
blind signal. Looks like we need to multiplex or other mechanism.