Re: LWLOCK_STATS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: LWLOCK_STATS
Date
Re: LWLOCK_STATS  (Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:

> IIRC, pg_bench is *extremely* write-heavy. There's probably not that many systems that operate that way. I suspect
thatmost OLTP systems read more than they write, and some probably have as much as a 10-1 ratio.

IMHO the main PostgreSQL design objective is doing a flexible, general
purpose 100% write workload. Which is why Hot Standby and
LISTEN/NOTIFY are so important as mechanisms for offloading read
traffic to other places, so we can scale the total solution beyond 1
node without giving up the power of SQL.

So benchmarking write-heavy workloads and separately benchmarking
read-only workloads is more representative.