Re: LWLOCK_STATS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: LWLOCK_STATS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:16 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
>> IIRC, pg_bench is *extremely* write-heavy. There's probably not that many systems that operate that way. I suspect
thatmost OLTP systems read more than they write, and some probably have as much as a 10-1 ratio.

> IMHO the main PostgreSQL design objective is doing a flexible, general
> purpose 100% write workload. Which is why Hot Standby and
> LISTEN/NOTIFY are so important as mechanisms for offloading read
> traffic to other places, so we can scale the total solution beyond 1
> node without giving up the power of SQL.

There's a problem with that theory though... in an actual OLTP system it can be extremely difficult to effectively
splitread and write workloads unless you've got some really easy way to know that you're not reading data that was just
modified.I realize that there are caching and some other tricks that can help here, but AFAICT they all have some
prettysignificant drawbacks that can easily limit where they can be used.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net