Re: Minor clarifying changes to abbreviated key abort code comments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Minor clarifying changes to abbreviated key abort code comments
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This comment doesn't make sense to me:
>>
>> +                * (TSS_BUILDRUNS state prevents control reaching here in any
>> +                * case).
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, that's not actually true.
>
> It is true.  consider_abort_common() only actually considers aborting
> when state is TSS_INITIAL (we're still doing an internal sort). The
> only other pertinent state here is TSS_BUILDRUNS. The point is that
> TSS_BUILDRUNS is a generic "point of no return" past which
> abbreviation cannot be aborted. That is a little arbitrary.

OK, I see.  Fixing comments in the back-branches is not always a
productive use of time, and in general I might like it if you pushed
for such things less frequently.  But I've done it anyway in this
instance.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company