Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol
Date
Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol  (Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:07 AM Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> wrote:
> Our current plan is to create a new set of API calls and hooks that allow to register additional wire protocols. The
existingbackend libpq implementation will be modified to register itself using the new API. This will serve as a proof
ofconcept as well as ensure that the API definition is not slanted towards a specific protocol. It is also similar to
theway table access methods and compression methods are added.

If we're going to end up with an open source implementation of
something useful in contrib or whatever, then I think this is fine.
But, if not, then we're just making it easier for Amazon to do
proprietary stuff without getting any benefit for the open-source
project. In fact, in that case PostgreSQL would ensure have to somehow
ensure that the hooks don't get broken without having any code that
actually uses them, so not only would the project get no benefit, but
it would actually incur a small tax. I wouldn't say that's an
absolutely show-stopper, but it definitely isn't my first choice.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com