Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If we're going to end up with an open source implementation of
> something useful in contrib or whatever, then I think this is fine.
> But, if not, then we're just making it easier for Amazon to do
> proprietary stuff without getting any benefit for the open-source
> project. In fact, in that case PostgreSQL would ensure have to somehow
> ensure that the hooks don't get broken without having any code that
> actually uses them, so not only would the project get no benefit, but
> it would actually incur a small tax. I wouldn't say that's an
> absolutely show-stopper, but it definitely isn't my first choice.

As others noted, a test module could be built to add some coverage here.

What I'm actually more concerned about, in this whole line of development,
is the follow-on requests that will surely occur to kluge up Postgres
to make its behavior more like $whatever.  As in "well, now that we
can serve MySQL clients protocol-wise, can't we pretty please have a
mode that makes the parser act more like MySQL".  If we start having
modes for MySQL identifier quoting, Oracle outer join syntax, yadda
yadda, it's going to be way more of a maintenance nightmare than some
hook functions.  So if we accept any patch along this line, I want to
drive a hard stake in the ground that the answer to that sort of thing
will be NO.

Assuming we're going to keep to that, though, it seems like people
doing this sort of thing will inevitably end up with a fork anyway.
So maybe we should just not bother with the first step either.