Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Subject Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:43 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:07 AM Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> wrote:
> > Our current plan is to create a new set of API calls and hooks that allow to register additional wire protocols. The existing backend libpq implementation will be modified to register itself using the new API. This will serve as a proof of concept as well as ensure that the API definition is not slanted towards a specific protocol. It is also similar to the way table access methods and compression methods are added.
>
> If we're going to end up with an open source implementation of
> something useful in contrib or whatever, then I think this is fine.
> But, if not, then we're just making it easier for Amazon to do
> proprietary stuff without getting any benefit for the open-source
> project. In fact, in that case PostgreSQL would ensure have to somehow
> ensure that the hooks don't get broken without having any code that
> actually uses them, so not only would the project get no benefit, but
> it would actually incur a small tax. I wouldn't say that's an
> absolutely show-stopper, but it definitely isn't my first choice.

As far I understood Jan's proposal is to add enough hooks on PostgreSQL to enable us to extend the wire protocol and add a contrib module as an example (maybe TDS, HTTP or just adding new capabilities to current implementation).

Regards,

--
   Fabrízio de Royes Mello
   PostgreSQL Developer at OnGres Inc. - https://ongres.com