Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Not sure.  There's something to be said for the equivalence Peter
>>> proposes above.  What you actually wanted, as I understood it, was
>>> that "make world" plus "make check-world" should test absolutely
>>> everything.  I don't have a problem with the idea that some bits
>>> of test scaffolding don't get built until you do "make check-world".
>>> The real problem here is that "make check-world" missed some tests,
>>> which Peter agrees is a bug.
>
>> No, the problem is that worker_spi has no tests, so 'make check-world'
>> never tries to build it at all.  Something in the buildfarm does cause
>> it to get built, though.
>
> Well, if it has no tests *and* it's not getting installed, what's
> the point of having it at all?

It's intended as a demonstration of stuff you could do with background
workers.  Perhaps that begs the question of why Alvaro included it in
the set of things that got moved from contrib to src/test/modules, but
I'm still of the opinion that we should build everything in
src/test/modules when the user does 'make world', whether it has tests
defined or not.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company