Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date
Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I assume this patch is not going to be applied until there is an actual
> use case for preserving these values.

My interpretation of the preceding discussion was that several people
thought this change was a good idea regardless of whether anything
ever happens with TDE, so I wasn't seeing a reason to wait.
Personally, I've always thought that it was quite odd that pg_upgrade
didn't preserve the relfilenode values, so I'm in favor of the change.
I bet we could even make some simplifications to that code if we got
all of this sorted out, which seems like it would be nice.

I think it was also mentioned that this might be nice for pgBackRest,
which apparently permits incremental backups across major version
upgrades but likes filenames to match.

That being said, if you or somebody else thinks that this is a bad
idea or that the reasons offered up until now are insufficient, feel
free to make that argument. I just work here...

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com