Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date
Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> I assume this patch is not going to be applied until there is an actual
>> use case for preserving these values.

> That being said, if you or somebody else thinks that this is a bad
> idea or that the reasons offered up until now are insufficient, feel
> free to make that argument. I just work here...

Per upthread discussion, it seems impractical to fully guarantee
that database OIDs match, which seems to mean that the whole premise
collapses.  Like Bruce, I want to see a plausible use case justifying
any partial-guarantee scenario before we add more complication (= bugs)
to pg_upgrade.