Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:26 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Well, no it isn't. The main nit I would pick in that claim is that
> it's far from obvious that the three examples of float8 * interval
> are all talking about the same operator; in fact, a reader would
> be very likely to draw the false conclusion that there is an
> integer * interval operator.

I agree that's not great. I think that could possibly be fixed by
showing all three examples in the same cell, and maybe by revising the
choice of examples.

> I'd like to have more consistency, not less.  I do not think it helps
> readers to have each page in Chapter 9 have its own idiosyncratic way of
> presenting operators/functions.  The operator tables are actually almost
> that bad, right now --- compare section 9.1 (hasn't even bothered with
> a formal <table>) with tables 9.1, 9.4, 9.9, 9.12, 9.14, 9.30, 9.34,
> 9.37, 9.41, 9.44.  The variation in level of detail and precision is
> striking, and not in a good way.

Well, I don't know. Having two or even three formats is not the same
as having infinitely many formats, and may be justified if the needs
are sufficiently different from each other.

At any rate, if the price of more clarity and more examples is that
the tables become three times as long and harder to read, I am
somewhat inclined to think that the cure is worse than the disease. I
can readily see how something like table 9.10 (Other String Functions)
might be a mess on a narrow screen or in PDF format, but it's an
extremely useful table on a normal-size screen in HTML format, and
part of what makes it useful is that it's compact. Almost anything we
do is going to remove some of that compactness to save horizontal
space. Maybe that's OK, but it's sure not great. It's nice to be able
to see more on one screen.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company