Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-01-21 11:39:18 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Is it time to enable checksums by default, and give initdb a switch to turn
>> it off instead?
>
> -1 - the WAL overhead is quite massive, and in contrast to the other
> GUCs recently changed you can't just switch this around.

I agree.  I bet that if somebody does the test suggested by Amit
downthread, it'll turn out that the performance is just awful.  And
those cases are common.  I think the people saying "well, the overhead
is worth it" must be people whose systems (or whose customer's
systems) aren't processing continuous heavy OLTP workloads.  If you've
got a data warehousing workload, checksums are probably pretty cheap.
If you've got a low-velocity OLTP workload, or an OLTP workload that
fits in shared_buffers, it's probably bearable.  But if you've got 8GB
of shared_buffers and 100GB of data, and you've got 100 or so backends
continuously doing random updates, I think checksums are going nail
you to the wall.  And EnterpriseDB, at least, has lots of customers
that do exactly that sort of thing.

Having said that, I've certain run into situations where I speculated
that a customer had a hardware problem and they speculated that we had
given them buggy database software.  In a pretty significant number of
cases, the customer turned out to be right; for example, some of those
people were suffering from multixact bugs that resulted in
unexplainable corruption.  Now, would it have been useful to know that
checksums were passing (suggesting a PostgreSQL problem) rather than
failing (suggesting an OS problem)?  Yes, that would have been great.
I could have given those customers better support.  On the other hand,
I think I've run into MORE cases where the customer was desperately
seeking options to improve write performance, which remains a pretty
significant problem for PostgreSQL.  I can't see taking a significant
hit in that area for my convenience in understanding what's going on
in data corruption situations.  The write performance penalty is paid
by everybody all the time, whereas data corruption is a rare event
even among support cases.

And even when you do have corruption, whether or not the data
corruption is accompanied by a checksum failure is only ONE extra bit
of useful data.  A failure doesn't guarantee a hardware problem; it
could be caused by a faulty backup procedure, like forgetting to run
pg_start_backup().  The lack of a failure doesn't guarantee a software
problem; it could be caused by a faulty backup procedure, like using
an OS-level snapshot facility that isn't exactly simultaneous across
tablespaces.  What you really need to do when a customer has
corruption is figure out why they have corruption, and the leading
cause by far is neither the hardware nor the software but some kind of
user error.  Checksums are at best a very modest assist in figuring
out whether an error has been made and if so of what type.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company