Re: pg_basebackup, manifests and backends older than ~12 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_basebackup, manifests and backends older than ~12
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 8:56 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 08:08:17AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Exactly.  My point is exactly that.  The current code would force
> > users maintaining scripts with pg_basebackup to use --no-manifest if
> > such a script runs with older versions of Postgres, but we should
> > encourage users not do to that because we want them to use manifests
> > with backend versions where they are supported.
>
> Please note that I have added an open item for this thread, and
> attached is a proposal of patch.  While reading the code, I have
> noticed that the minimum version handling is not consistent with the
> other MINIMUM_VERSION_*, so I have added one for manifests.

I think that this patch is incorrect. I have no objection to
introducing MINIMUM_VERSION_FOR_MANIFESTS, but this is not OK:

- else
- {
- if (serverMajor < 1300)
- manifest_clause = "";
- else
- manifest_clause = "MANIFEST 'no'";
- }

It seems to me that this will break --no-manifest option on v13.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company