Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Kam Lasater <ckl@seekayel.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, an issue tracker is not a
> replacement for mailing list(s) and vice versa. They are both
> necessary for success.

I venture to say that we are succeeding as it is, although of course
we might have more success if we did some things better, including
this.  However, as Stephen says, the problem with an issue tracker is
that, unless some person or persons committed to keep it up to date,
it would just fill up with crap. We have an issue tracker for database
server issues here at EnterpriseDB, and keeping it up to date is a ton
of work.  If nobody's volunteering to do that work in the PostgreSQL
community, an issue tracker is going to end up not being useful,
because it will just be wrong all the time.

If somebody does do the work, then we get to the next question: if we
had an accurate list of open bugs, would anybody who currently doesn't
work on fixing those bugs step up to help fix them?  I hope so, but I
don't know.  If not, we might not feel that the effort of maintaining
the bug tracker paid much of a dividend.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company