Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Kam Lasater <ckl@seekayel.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, an issue tracker is not a
> replacement for mailing list(s) and vice versa. They are both
> necessary for success.

I venture to say that we are succeeding as it is, although of course
we might have more success if we did some things better, including
this.

For whatever it is worth, one of the frustrations I've had with projects (other than PostgreSQL) of which I am a casual users is that reporting a single bug meant signing up for yet another account on yet another site and learning yet another bug tracking system.

I think the email based system is more friendly for the casual user.  You don't even have to sign up for the bugs mail list as long as people keep you CC'ed.  I don't think that having a tracker just for the sake of having one is going to attract new contributors.

I'd rather, say, put some more work into cleaning the kruft out of the To-Do list, then put that effort into migrating the kruft to a fancier filing cabinet.

Cheers,

Jeff